This isn’t much of a surprise that two of the biggest musical festivals in the Californian desert got canceled. When Coachella & Stagecoach held out hope for October dates we all knew deep down, the shows were just not going to happen this year. Why? Because 2020 is the year of no fun.
Per The Desert Sun:
Riverside County Public Health Officer Dr. Cameron Kaiser signed an order Wednesday canceling the popular music festivals, citing concerns over a possible surge of coronavirus cases in the fall.
Goldenvoice, the Los Angeles-based company that produces the music festivals over three weekends in April, had previously announced the postponement of both festivals due to the rapidly spreading coronavirus.
“I am concerned as indications grow that COVID-19 could worsen in the fall,” Kaiser said in a statement. “In addition, events like Coachella and Stagecoach would fall under Governor Newsom’s Stage 4, which he has previously stated would require treatments or a vaccine to enter. Given the projected circumstances and potential, I would not be comfortable moving forward.
Travis Scott, Frank Ocean and Rage Against the Machine were set to headline Coachella, which was rescheduled for Oct. 9-11 and 16-18 at the Empire Polo Club in Indio. The Stagecoach lineup included Thomas Rhett, Carrie Underwood, Eric Church, Lil Nas X, Billy Ray Cyrus, ZZ Top and Alan Jackson.
County health officials said in a statement that they’d spoken with Goldenvoice officials.
“After consulting with our public health officer and local leaders from the City of Indio and Goldenvoice, and with continued importance on public health, it was decided that postponing the concert series was appropriate and necessary,” said V. Manuel Perez, Fourth District supervisor, in a statement.
Lets just face it, anything fun you wanted to do in 2020 just wait until 2021.