Get ready to watch Nazis get punched in the face by heroes of yesteryear with the first look trailer for Justice Society: World War II.
Produced by Warner Bros. Animation, DC, and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, the movie is officially described as a “time-skipping World War II thriller” that sees Barry Allen’s travel back in time thanks to his first encounter with the Speed Force.
This is the 42nd entry in the DC Universe Movie franchise and the first to feature this Golden Age superhero team. The Justice Society previously appeared in various live-action incarnations on television in Smallville, The CW’s Arrowverse, and Stargirl.
Justice Society will make their live-action big-screen debut in Black Adam, starring Dwayne Johnson.
As detailed in our explainer on DC’s Justice Society of America, they are “a classic Golden Age superhero team — the first superhero team actually — that was born out of the minds of Sheldon Mayer and Gardner Fox. The team debuted in 1941’s All-Star Comics #3 — predating the Justice League by almost two decades.”This official synopsis sheds some additional light on the new animated film’s plot:
“Justice Society: World War II finds modern-day Barry Allen – prior to the formation of the Justice League – discovering he can run even faster than he imagined, and that milestone results in his first encounter with the Speed Force. The Flash is promptly launched into the midst of a raging battle – primarily between Nazis and a team of Golden Age DC Super Heroes known as The Justice Society of America. Led by Wonder Woman, the group includes Hourman, Black Canary, Hawkman, Steve Trevor and the Golden Age Flash, Jay Garrick. The Flash quickly volunteers to assist his fellow heroes in tipping the scales of war in their favor, while the team tries to figure out how to send him home. But it won’t be easy as complications and emotions run deep in this time-skipping World War II thriller.”Justice Society: World War II’s voice ensemble is led by Stana Katic and Matt Bomer, who made their DC Universe Movies debuts starring opposite each other as Lois Lane and Superman in the 2013 film Superman: Unbound.
As you can see from the full cast list below, Katic and Bomer are not reprising their Superman roles in Justice Society: World War II:
- Stana Katic (Castle) as Wonder Woman
- Matt Bomer (Doom Patrol) as The Flash
- Elysia Rotaru (Arrow) as Black Canary
- Chris Diamantopoulos (Silicon Valley) as Steve Trevor
- Omid Abtahi (American Gods, The Mandalorian) as Hawkman
- Matthew Mercer (Critical Role, Overwatch) as Hourman
- Armen Taylor (JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind) as Jay Garrick
- Liam McIntyre (The Flash, Spartacus, Justice League Dark: Apokolips War) as Aquaman
- Geoffrey Arend (Batman: Hush) as Charles Halstead/Advisor
- Ashleigh LaThrop (The Handmaid’s Tale) as Iris West
- Keith Ferguson (Overwatch) as Dr. Fate
- Darin De Paul (Overwatch, Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion’s Revenge) as Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Justice Society: World War II is directed by Jeff Wamester (Guardians of the Galaxy TV series) from a screenplay by Supernatural’s Meghan Fitzmartin and Jeremy Adams.
Included with the purchase of Justice Society: World War II is the new animated short Kamandi: The Last Boy on Earth, one of four newly announced DC animated short films.